A computer expert witness or forensic computer architecture is a person specialized in providing information on internet security. The legal cases now depend on computer-stored data and metadata such as who can access the data. The data has to be retrieved without any loss in the data and damage to the device.
What does a computer witness do?
- Investigation of computer system failures to find the main cause behind the crime and damage done to the devices.
- Analysis of the responsibilities and the impact of software components in the system
- Performing a comprehensive analysis of the quality of any computer software or computer component to understand the context of the failure
- Determination of the best practices and acceptable professional standards keeping in mind the legal and government regulations
- Preparation of reports on the forensic evidence and provides the witness in cases which are supposed to involve fraud, intellectual property theft, and other litigation matters.
The responsibilities of a computer expert witness
The responsibilities of an expert witness in a digital world are huge as they have to preserve and review the data collected and then conclude a final say on the case. Some of these responsibilities include the following:
- Honesty: The person should be trustworthy so that he stands with the utmost importance.
- Opinions: They have the right to issue their opinion and conclusions on the matters they are made responsible for
- Preparation: He or she should be well prepared with the background and procedure to provide the information without any physical damage to the devices.
A computer expert witness is skilful in performance and can provide help in the following ways:
- The hackers can be traced
- They gather, organize and maintain the evidence
- They are responsible for recovering their own data
- They provide expert forensic testimony
The technical and computing resources availability makes it possible for a computer expert witness to handle any kind of digital misconduct, cyberstalking, fraud and hacking.